I was reluctant to post this recipe (hence the not-so-great quality photos) because if its easy enough for me to do it sans-recipe, it also means it really doesn’t require written directions. BUT, I realized I’m (Facebook) friends with people who are still posting photos from McDonalds & Wendy’s with their kids and then asking for ‘easy’ dinner recommendations when its 2017 and Pinterest is alive and well. So, I present to you, some easy stuffed peppers for when you want to get the most out of your pound of ground turkey and have some good, healthy(ish) comfort food. Seriously, this makes enough for dinner + lunches for 2, for the rest of the week.
What you’ll need:
6 whole peppers
1 lb. ground turkey
1 can of corn (I used no salt added)
1 can of black beans (low sodium)
1 15 oz. jar of salsa
1 bag cauliflower rice (I used my go-to, Trader Joes)
1 packet of taco seasoning (I got mine at Fresh Market which was 100% all natural, spices only, so get this if you’d like to avoid making your own mix but also avoid unnecessary additives)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (plus a little more for topping)
sour cream to garnish
tortilla chips if you’re feeling fancy
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tops off of peppers, place on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray, and heat for 15 minutes.
2. While peppers are in the oven, over medium to high heat, cook the turkey until browned. Add cauliflower rice until softened, about 3 minutes.
3. Add in seasoning packet. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
4. Add in the corn & beans, both drained and rinsed. Then add in salsa & cheese. Let simmer for about 5 minutes to heat through.
5. Lower oven temperature to 375. Fill peppers with stuffing, and place in a shallow baking dish for 25 minutes.
6. Top with shredded cheese, cook for 5 more minutes.
7. Top with sour cream & serve (with tortilla chips!)
This recipe was one of the first things I cooked for Michael and he asks for it ALL the time. It makes at least 6 large peppers, with extra stuffing to last probably another couple of days for lunch!